[PLUG] Intel MB woes

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Fri Jun 22 22:55:22 UTC 2007

Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson writes:
>> alan wrote:

>>> Kernel boot option.  Tends to fix booting issues on some Intel
>>> motherboards.
>>
>> Found it referred to from a search using Google.  Sad part is there is
>> _no joy_.  Didn't work.  Even tried a 'noapci'.
>> Thanks for the clue.
>>
>> Rod
>> --
>
> I've been building systems with Intel MB similar to that one for a while
> now. I have no issues with Gentoo, but in trying to install Windows on
> those boards I've run into a host of problems. My first guess would be
> to check what mode the SATA controller is in. Intel's controller has a
> couple of "legacy" modes to let Windows XP and older work.
> In the board's setup menu, under Advanced, under Drive Configuration:
> ATA/IDE Mode: if set to Native, represents SATA devices as SATA devices.
> If set to Legacy, represents all devices as PATA to software, but I've
> had problems with this setting.
> With the ATA/IDE mode set to Native, an additional option usually
> appears: Configure SATA as: which has at least the options IDE and AHCI.
> In my experience IDE shows the devices to Windows as PATA, but Linux
> sees right through that. Windows pre-Vista doesn't understand AHCI, but
> that's what I use as Linux has no problems with it.
> If none of this helps (ie. none of the mode combinations get the
> installer to see your CD-ROM) maybe you can provide specific details
> about which distro you're attempting to install and I can give it a test.
> -Aaron

Thanks Aaron.  I'll pass this along to Jim who is doing (trying?) the
install.  Off the top of my head I remember Fedora Core 4,5,6; CentOS 5;
and maybe a SuSE or two were tried.  The preferrance is Fedora Core 6.

I don't remember us trying trying these combination but there were a
bunch.  I think the operative word might be 'similar'.

Thanks for the insight and suggestions.

Rod