[PLUG] USB-to-Serial Converter?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Jun 28 23:43:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>>  I believe the keyspan devices allow a USB port to be used as a
>>  serial port.  It sounds to me like Rich is asking for the exact
>>  opposite -- and I don't believe there's anything like that on the
>>  market.
>
> Paul,
>
>  That's _exactly_ what I want to try. I have the serial-to-USB
> converter, and I want to try the reverse. That is, be able to plug
> the male USB cable end into something that will plug into a 15-pin
> serial port.

I've never seen a converter that allows a USB device (printer,
keyboard, coffee warmer) to attach to anything but a USB bus.

The reverse is true, obviously: PS/2 keyboards and mice have adapters
to plug into USB jacks, and the Keyspan devices do the same for serial
lines.

I suspect the reason is that USB can deliver significant power (e.g.,
enough to power a hard drive) along with signaling, while RS-232 and
PS/2 jacks cannot -- but that's just a guess.