[PLUG] USB-to-Serial Converter?

ed_berg at comcast.net ed_berg at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 00:20:20 UTC 2007

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>    Does anyone know if there is made a converter that allows a USB device to
> plug into a serial port, rather than the other way?

I once read that the reason USB seems so simple is that the hardware/software to support it are exceedingly complex, and in my experience I have found this to be true. Thus, I don't think you'll find this type of converter. If it did exist, it would need to behave as a USB host with built-in class drivers for whatever USB devices are supported, and also be programmed to handle the application specific data going to/from the serial port. Such a device would be very specific to the device and software you are using.

Ed