[PLUG] Re: strange ln -s behavior

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jun 29 17:05:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> I really can't believe I've been using bash for so many years, and
> never knew about that!

I think that happens to all of us. I'd been using bash for a long time
before I saw some use Ctrl-R to search shell history. It beat "history | grep" hands down. :-)

The really cool tricks, the ones we completely integrate into our
daily work, are the easiest to forget about. They're just part of the
landscape.

A couple weeks ago, I was doing some shell operations with a colleague
looking over my shoulder. I crafted a longish command, but then
remembered that I had to complete a different command first. So I
typed Ctrl-A to get to the beginning of the line, prefixed it with a
#, and pressed Enter. I did the prerequisite command. Then I
up-arrowed a couple times, removed the #, and ran the long command.

My colleague just said, "I never thought to comment out an interactive
shell command." It was so ingrained in my work habits, however, that
it never occured to me to pass it along as a tip. Wierd, Unix is. :-)