[PLUG] Re: Ubuntu Live and Mom

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jun 29 19:02:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 11:28:41AM -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I get a message from Mom at this time.  Later we talk on the phone.
> "I hated it.  It's not something I want to do."  Sister didn't repeat
> the process on later visits.

Understood.  My mom was very resistant to learning to use a computer.
Older folks learn more slowly, and often resent new stuff that could
embarrass them.  Also, font sizes in most apps are pitched for 20yo's,
not 70yo's.  Ubuntu with some accessability mods might someday be good
enough to break the Mom barrier, though.  The Ubuntu people need to
hear from people like your Mom;  if she won't come, bring an earful
from her, at least.  The next 20 years will be hard to survive without
computer skills, or without the wisdom of our seniors.

Keith

PS - rule of thumb for computer presentations:  Never use a font size
smaller than half the age of the oldest person in the room.  If the
CEO is 63, use 32 point or larger font for everything.  This applies
to apps, too.