[PLUG] VMWare question: How to start vmware guests automatically

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:58:22 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, David Mandel <dmandel at pdxlinux.org> wrote:

> I have VMWare Workstation 5.x up and running.
> It works great, but I have always used it interactively.
> Is there a way to start vmware guest machines automatically
> at system boot or from a crontab or whatever?
> Do I need to install VMWare server for this?

As Andy mentioned, this is a VMware server feature, however VMware
Workstation 6 (which is currently in Free Beta) can run VM's "disconnected",
which is effectively the same. It should be trivial to script up something
to start them automatically using the "vmrun" command. FWIW, I've been using
the 6 beta since it's first release, and have had no problems.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-