[lug] Re: [PLUG] VMWare question: How to start vmware guests automatically

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:34:31 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Brian Wilson <brian at wildsong.biz> wrote:

> > As Andy mentioned, this is a VMware server feature, however VMware
> > Workstation 6 (which is currently in Free Beta) can run VM's
> "disconnected",
>
> Having owned and upgraded VMWare Workstation since it came out,
> it's hard for me to understand why I'd want to use it in preference
> to VMWare Server to use as a SERVER, when VMWare Server is free.

David didn't inidcate whether or not he was wanting a machine to be running
as a "server", only that he wanted it to start automatically and he already
had workstation installed and running. Your point is well taken though, and
for many people, using server when you need a vm to start at boot is the
right answer. However workstation has some advantages over server in some
situations:

-Better interactive performance - This is according to VMware support
directly.
-Support for multiple snapshots - server can only do one at a time.
-Clone a VM - This can be relatively easily done by hand, but the
workstation UI makes it completely brainless
-VM Teaming - Tremendously useful for setting up complex test environments,
even if they are "server" class.
-Support for multiple monitors (6 beta only)
-Support for USB 2.0 at full speed (6 beta only)

So, Workstation is targetted squarely at testing / development and server at
production. However, it's entirely possible that some production needs would
require the use of Workstation (or moving up to ESX) or that testing needs
could be met by server.

--
-Regards-

-Quentin Hartman-