[PLUG] VMWare question: How to start vmware guests automatically

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Thu Mar 1 19:45:13 UTC 2007

A couple comments:

(1)  Actually, VMWare Server is free - free as in no cost - not free
as in freedom.
      See: http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html for details.

(2)  VMWare workstation costs money.
      I own a copy or two of VMWare workstation 5.x
      I should try VMWare workstation 6.0 beta.  I have not.

(3)  VMWare workstation will do a lot that VMWare Server won't do.
      Thus, I'm using VMWare workstation.
      Unfortunately, the documentation says you can NOT run workstation
      and server on the same computer, and the command line interface
      for VMWare Workstation stinks.  (Or maybe I don't understand
      it's features.)

(4)  Mostly, I use VMWare to run Linux under Linux
      I haven't quite figured networking out for Xen yet.
      Xen seems to work great, but there doesn't seem to be an easy
      strait forward way of creating Xen virtual machines.
      Eventually, I intend to use VMWare to create Xen virtual
      machines as needed and use Xen to run these.
      In the mean time, I'm using VMWare on one machine for everything
      and that is why I would like my VMWare guests to start automatically
      on boot.

  Sincerely,
  David Mandel
  Chief Activist