[PLUG] VMWare question: How to start vmware guests automatically

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Mar 1 21:03:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:45 -0800, David Mandel wrote:

> (3)  VMWare workstation will do a lot that VMWare Server won't do.

Like what?  I gave up Workstation 5.5 when Server came out exactly so I
could have headless VMs and I haven't noticed anything missing.

>       Thus, I'm using VMWare workstation.
>       Unfortunately, the documentation says you can NOT run workstation
>       and server on the same computer, and the command line interface
>       for VMWare Workstation stinks.  (Or maybe I don't understand
>       it's features.)

I think that's probably right.  You can, however, run VMWare under
VMWare... I ran Workstation 4 in a Linux VM recently to create a VM that
our older ESX version could import.  I think newer versions of ESX are
expressly supporting running within a VM, so you can do training,
testing and development of ESX itself.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>