[PLUG] Regaining Lost Sound

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Fri Mar 2 05:01:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:06 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ali Corbin wrote:
>
> > Did you perhaps boot into a new kernel, for which the snd module has not
> > been built?
>
> Ali, et al.:
>
>    No, it's the same 2.6.19.2 since January. For whatever the reason, the
> kernel .config file did not have SND-INTEL8X0 set to module. So, I changed
> that, rebuilt and reinstalled modules, and modprobe then loaded
> snd-intel8x0.
>
>    Ran alsaconf and it found the chip, made sure everything was installed and
> running, then told me to go have fun after adjusting sound with my favorite
> mixer. Well, it's back to the ALSA wiki troubleshooting page because aumix
> won't load and alsamixer shows nothing but the header. Progress, but not yet
> all there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Rich,

I just got through the fun of getting my sound back working after
updating my kernel in FC5. Everyonce in a while the updates go just
fine, but this time gmplayer played RocketBoom.com just fine but my
realplayer playing Radio Paradise was silent.  It connected just fine
and looked like it was playing just fine.  But no sound.  I opened kmix
and discovered that realplay was connected to my on motherboard sound
card while I could choose my alsa sound for the gmplayer.

After much hunting, I discovered a file called /etc/asound.conf.  This
was setup originally like this:
#Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1

Note the '0' on the pcm.device line.  Went against the admonition and
editted the file by hand and changed the 0 to 1.  Rebooted and realplay
is playing Radio Paradise again.

May not help you a bit, Rich, but I am happier,
now.
--
Ken Stephens
CAD 2 CAM