[PLUG] Any experience with Brother MFC-7820N?

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Fri Mar 2 17:59:36 UTC 2007

Quentin Hartman (qhartman at gmail.com) typed this ...
> I don't have experience with that particular model, but I have worked with
> other Brother laser printers. They worked fine with CUPS printing system,
> and overall I'd rate them as "passable". They were a little slow-ish, and
> their output was ok, but not great. They were good enough for what we paid
> for them, and good enough for home / very small biz use, but I think if I
> had owned them personally, I would have eventually wished I'd spent a little
> more money and gotten something a little nicer.

The 7820N doesn't warm up quickly, but it's not a horrible wait unless
you're extremely impatient (10-12 seconds average). The printing is VERY
fast; I don't the the 20ppm rating is an exaggeration.

Text quality is fine (not spectacular, but you have to look hard to find
jaggies), and the graphics quality is closer to what I would call
'passable'; not bad but not great either.

For the price and considering that Brother supports Linux so well, I'm
very happy with mine.

--Kurt