[PLUG] Need Help "SSH through VPN"

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 6 01:54:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:41:12PM -0800, Jenifer Chung wrote:
> Our network guy setup a VPN server. He setup the SSH connection icon for
> every servers on the VPN web page. When click at "SSH to server" icon, VPN
> will connect through SSH to that server. The problem is, none of Linux
> servers can connect to SSH through VPN server. Other Unix servers (HP-UX,
> Solaris, AIX...) are connecting fine SSH through VPN. When connecting SSH to
> Linux (Suse, RedHat) servers from VPN, get this error "connecting to
> connection closed".
>
> Another problem, "pointing finger!" I told him, the problem is his VPN
> setup. He told me, it is my Linux servers...blah, blah, blah...
>
> My Linux servers are wide open for SSH. Is there anything there on my Linux
> servers preventing SSH access through VPN server? Do I need to do anything
> to allow SSH get through VPN server?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I use ssh over Openvpn (which uses ssl), and beyond a lot of
complications involving setting up certifications on the machine,
it works fine.  As others mentioned, try ssh -vvv for debugging.
But before that, you should try pinging and traceroute and nmap
and other tools to make sure that the ports are open, not firewalled,
etc.  You can also telnet to port 22 and see if you get an ssh prompt.
You might also learn more about Openvpn - the documentation and
cookbooks are fairly good, and might provide a clue about SSL-based
VPNs and Linux.

Keith