[PLUG] OO.o With No Scroll Bars? -- SOLVED

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 17:57:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:47:47 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > Yes, AbiWord can open .doc files. Not sure if it can save in .doc format,
> > but it definitely opens them.
>
>    Thank you. Last time I looked it was a add-on.

Well that was weird. I went to make this reply and discovered that
overnight my keyboard died. Couldn't type anything anywhere. Mouse
still worked, though. One by one I closed apps until all were shut
down, but still no keyboard. Then I logged out and when the login
screen came up I still couldn't type. I clicked to shutdown, and got a
screenfull of stuff that didn't look like error codes, but also not
what I usually see when I shut down. Finally the shutdown process hung
and I had to hit the power button.

On rebooting everything seems to be back to normal. Wonder what it was
that caused that. I've never lost just the keyboard before. I've had
lockups and other nasties happen, but both the mouse and the keyboard
are dead. Losing just the keyboard is a first.

OK, back to what I was going to say. I launched AbiWord and opened
a .doc file, then went to save it. (That's when I discovered the
keyboard was dead.) I had options to save in a zillion formats, Word,
OOo, html, etc. So its import/export filters can do what you need. This
is AbiWord 2.4.5 on Edgy amd64. Searching in Synaptic on "abiword"
reveals that I have installed abiword-common, -gnome, -help, -plugins,
and -plugins-gnome.

I like AbiWord a lot, but I need features of OOo. For one thing, in
AbiWord all pages in a document must have the same orientation. And
tables are not as fully featured (I use a lot of tables). But most
critical is that it does not have an export to PDF. Plus,
it has no equivalent to PowerPoint or Impress. I keep it around because
OOo 2.0.4 on Edgy amd64 has a lot of broken stuff and it's useful for
testing. Just like I keep KOffice installed, because it can open PDF
files.