[PLUG] OO.o With No Scroll Bars? -- SOLVED

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 7 18:22:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Wonder what it was that caused that.

   Perhaps your mouse chewed on the keyboard cable overnight.

> I've never lost just the keyboard before.

   A couple of weeks ago I lost the right side of the keyboard. It's fun to
type words that have only letters on the left half of the board showing up.
Killing X, logging out, and logging back in restored full function and my
sanity.

> Searching in Synaptic on "abiword" reveals that I have installed
> abiword-common, -gnome, -help, -plugins, and -plugins-gnome.

   Thank you, John.

> I like AbiWord a lot, but I need features of OOo. For one thing, in
> AbiWord all pages in a document must have the same orientation. And tables
> are not as fully featured (I use a lot of tables). But most critical is
> that it does not have an export to PDF. Plus, it has no equivalent to
> PowerPoint or Impress. I keep it around because OOo 2.0.4 on Edgy amd64
> has a lot of broken stuff and it's useful for testing. Just like I keep
> KOffice installed, because it can open PDF files.

   That's OK. I process words comparatively infrequently. All my serious
writing (articles, papers, proposals, and so on) are written in LaTeX using
the LyX interface. (Yes, the GUI is really faster than LaTeX in emacs.) My
marketing materials are prepared in Scribus. So my need for a word processor
is limited. And, I use nothing else in OO.o. Last week I tried to use the
spreadsheet, but could not successfully enter a formula under a column; it
wanted a name or something, so I gave up the attempt. (Don't care to know
how, either.) I've used XessSE for years as my spreadsheet, prepare
presentations using the Beamer class in LaTeX, and prepare vector figures
using Xfig and PSTricks.

   As long as AbiWord will print to a file, the output can be run through
ps2pdf to solve that problem.

Thanks for looking for dependencies,