[PLUG] More vmware advice

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Thu Mar 8 04:19:41 UTC 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 7:59 PM, drew wymore wrote:
> Hi All-
> Drunk from the success of getting vmware working under fedora core
> (thanks
> to everyone who helped!) I'm attempting my next adventure. I'd like to
> install a VM (easy enough) but I confused on the networking setup.
> I'd like
> this VM to have its own public IP so I have no idea which option(s) to
> choose during setup in order to accomplish this. The guest (linux)
> will be
> running on a linux host w/ public IP as well so I'm not sure if
> there any
> caveats to this setup? Google has so far failed me so any pointers
> to docs
> would be appreciated.

Sounds like you want all traffic "Bridged" into your VM, after you
give that VM a static/public IP. If you used "Host only", only the
host running the VM could talk to it, and if you used NAT then you'd
have to go through some serious contortions to make sure packets from
the public got to your VM.

HTH,
-Ronabop