Resolved: [PLUG] Open Office Modifications

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 01:16:26 UTC 2007

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Is there a way to change the behavior of the <ENTER> key in OOcalc?
>
> In Excel, if one tabs from column to column while entering data and then
>  hits <ENTER>, the active cell becomes the cell below the one from which
> tabbing began. In OOcalc, <ENTER> just moves you to the cell below the
> one you were on when you hit <ENTER>.

I posted this question to users at openoffice.org and got a few responses.
One of them came close enough that, with modifications, it solves my
problem. One of the users replied:

> I was able to obtain a similar behavior by placing
> the "Crtl+Left Arrow"
> followed by a "Down Arrow" keyboard shortcuts in a macro and assigning
> it to a new keyboard shortcut "Shift+Enter"

If I reverse the order, i.e. start with <Down Arrow> and follow with
<Ctrl+Left Arrow> I get close to what I want. <Ctrl+Left Arrow> stops
when it encounters data. For my application this will work most of the
time, since there is almost always some data in the cell to the left of
the one I want to go to and rarely any data to the right of that cell.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens