[PLUG] What could this mean?

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:56:02 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:42:09 -0800
> "drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > As Mel mentioned udev is used to dynamically create devices in the /proc
> > filesystem. AFAIK its only for 2.6 kernels but I may be wrong. I found
> > exactly 1 hit on google after change a few parameters for the search
> based
> > on your error message and its a post to an ubuntu forum about a similar
> but
> > not exact udev problem
> >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/3801
>
> Yeah, I found this one earlier. Didn't offer any real help. Love the
> final line:
>
> Solution: Reformatted the Linux partition and reinstalled V6.06
>
> LOL
>
> > May be worthwhile checking into. Maybe udev was part of the upgrade
> packages
> > you installed and there's a bug perhaps? It seems like to me from the
> text
> > you posted that udev is unable to create a device node for something
> > installed on the computer because it can't determine its device
> attributes
> > but I could be completely wrong.
>
> You're right. There were several packages upgraded, and the only one I
> remember was Ktorrent. There must be a list of upgrades somewhere.
> Changes to the repositories? Log file on my computer?

For Synaptic I would look around /var/log as thats where most log files are
generally kept. I would almost be certain that there's some sort of
transaction log. I know Slackware and Fedora Core have both implemented this
so that there are time stamped logs of when a particular package was
installed.  You may want to scope out /etc/udev/rules.d which is where those
rules live on my boxen and see if the time stamp is from today or gives any
clue as to when it might have last been changed.

I'm almost certain that 2216 is referring to the process ID however if its
the same on every boot then of course that wouldn't be the case.

Drew-