[PLUG] What could this mean?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 9 17:28:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 00:24:29 -0800
"drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> > > Unfortunately, I still can't grok what it refers to. But I'm getting
> > > closer. There are two packages installed in Synaptic, libgphoto2
> > > and libgphoto2-port0. I just reinstalled them, and now I'm going
> > > to restart. <Crossing fingers.>
> >
> > Didn't work. Still getting the error messages. :(
> >
> > Oh well. Maybe in the morning when my head is working again I'll figure it
> > out.

> libgphoto2-port0 is used by libgphoto to access usb and serial devices so i
> think based on what you found in the rules directory that the error is
> either a serial port or usb issue. Do you have any USB devices plugged into
> your laptop? If so I'd start by unplugging them one by one and see if the
> error goes away.

I was already thinking along those lines -- removing devices until the
error goes away. However, this is a laptop and there isn't much I can
remove. The only thing that is always connectedf is my external USB
mouse (I hate touchpads). First thing I did this morning was to unplug
it and restart. Didn't work. Still getting the error messages. :(

As for serial, isn't that an old port that no one uses any more? I
think there is a serial output port on this computer, but nothing has
ever been plugged into it.

I think there are some internal devices that are USB as well as the
external mouse, but I'm not sure. Dmesg normally lists the mousie and,
if I understood the "usbcore" line correctly, ndiswrapper. I read
through the whole dmesg and the only thing that looked suspicious was:

 14.415935] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

I opened Synaptic hoping to find something named hct* or rtc*, but
nada. However, on launching Synaptic it announced that there were 13
upgrades available. All were related to KDE except two for xine and one for
ekiga. I decided to go ahead an upgrade them all and reboot. But on
rebooting I'm still getting the error messages.

Earlier I said that the first time there was about a screenful of the
same error messages on shutdown, but that they had gone away. That was
an error. Sometimes the screen goes by too fast to see it, but after
restarting a dozen times the error messages on shutdown are still there.

Just think of all I am learning about Linux. :(