[PLUG] DST

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Sun Mar 11 17:55:57 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 8:27:36 am Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> [snip]
> > Run "date" in a shell.  Does that give the right answer?
>
> I get:
> Sun Mar 11 08:22:42 PDT 2007
> Strange.  My watch says 8:22, but I did not reset it this AM.  And my VCR,
> which gets time from the transmitted signal shows 8:22 as well. It looks
> like the only thing that has changed is PST -> PDT, an S becomes a D.

If your computer was powered off at 2:00 AM *and* your hardware clock
is set to local time instead of UTC, then it would have missed the change.
The computer now thinks it is on PDT, but on boot-up it synced to the
hardware clock which was still on PST.

That's why it's usually better to have the hardware clock set to UTC. Unless
you are dual booting to Windows, then the advantage/disadvantage balance
tilts toward having the hardware clock set to local time.

Terry