[PLUG] Working around borked nameservers, clearing caches

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 12 04:11:52 UTC 2007

This weekend I was at a motel in Bend, which had free wifi.  The
problem was, the nameserver was broken - it returned incorrect
IP addresses for most names (en.wikipedia.org = 1.0.0.0, for
example) .  I could still connect to numeric IP addresses, though.

I could still drive a VPN to my server, so I copied the
appropriate IP addresses from /etc/resolv.conf over to my
laptop on the VPN link.  That meant that new names resolved
correctly, but the old addresses still pointed at the
borked IP addresses given by the balky nameserver; the bad
translations were apparently cached somewhere.

My experience with nameservers is with named and such;  I
recently changed over to 2.6.9/RHEL4.4 and don't know where
the name service cache sits, or how to flush it (it seems
to survive through a reboot).  So the question:

??? How do you flush the namserver cache on 2.6.9/RHEL4.4 ?

Keith

PS:  am no longer at the motel, so this is mostly of academic
interest, but I might encounter a bad nameserver in the future
to clean up after.