[PLUG] Working around borked nameservers, clearing caches

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 12 16:41:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> That is an accurate answer, but I think I mistakenly asked the wrong
> question.  I don't have rndc or named on my laptop.  Those were on RH9
> 2.4.22, but not on RHEL4.4 2.6.9.  I have the nscd (name service cache
> daemon) program on my laptop, but "nscd -g" says nscd is not running.

> ??? How do you flush the dns resolver cache on 2.6.9/RHEL4.4 with SELINUX
> ??? enabled?

Keith,

   I don't have the answer to that question, but perhaps what I've done would
be of interest to you.

   On my notebook, I copy /etc/resolv.conf to /etc/resolve.conf.office. This
is the list of dns servers I use in the office on all hosts.

   When I travel, I always need to run (as root) 'dhcpcd -d ethx' (where x ==
0 || x == 1 depending on whether the connection is wired or wireless) to get
an IP address for my location. Frequently, this overwrites /etc/resolve.conf
with the hotel's/airport's/coffee shop's DNS server names. I let them
happily overwrite each other. When I return to the office, I copy
resolv.conf.office to resolv.conf and I'm back to where I need to be.

   It ain't sophisticaled, but it's been working for me for several years
now.