[PLUG] DST Sunday morning - Check your system, Win users beware

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 12 18:20:26 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:41:13PM -0800, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> There of course is the true fix that is permanent and patches pretty well
> everything. Getting rid of DST. Fixing it for the whole country would be
> best, but failing that doing it at the state level works too.

As I understand it, that process requires a:

 cd /state/representatives/
 tar -xvf newrepresentatives.tar

This is, I am told, because consumers shop more during daylight
hours, and it is better business to send them to work in darkness
and have them come home past the stores in the waning daylight.
Employers want their people awake, so start times at businesses
compensate over time by starting the day later.  The direction of
movement indicates the relative strength of production businesses
versus retail businesses and their respective lobbying power.

100 years from now, we will have daylight savings savings savings
savings time, the sun will come up at 2PM, and we will go to work
at 3PM, and go home at 12PM, past the stores in waning daylight.
Going to work at 3PM is standard programmers hours now, so for
these workers there will be no change.  :-)

Keith