[PLUG] DST Sunday morning - Check your system, Win users beware

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Mar 13 06:13:31 UTC 2007

>From: Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org>
> Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > There of course is the true fix that is permanent and patches pretty well
> > everything. Getting rid of DST. Fixing it for the whole country would be
> > best, but failing that doing it at the state level works too.
>
> I'd guess that chances are if your OS can't change the dates it uses for
> DST it also can't eliminate it either unless you tell it you're at a
> location that's never obeyed DST which just causes another set of time
> problems.

I've never seen a Linux distribution that didn't include static versions
of the timezones. Setting the timezone to PST instead of US/Pacific will
make the system clock be PST all the time. I don't know whether the other
bit of software can handle that, but I think it likely.

> Also, I like the extra daylight at the end of the day during DST..

Then arrange with your employer to start and end your day early during
the summer. Don't mess with my clock (not to mention the huge
productivity losses due to sleepy workers during the change).

>From: Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com>
> As I understand it, that process requires a:
>
>  cd /state/representatives/
>  tar -xvf newrepresentatives.tar

Writing letters should be sufficient.