[PLUG] Ubuntu only displays on external monitor port of laptop

Paul Payne pspayne at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 16:57:50 UTC 2007

On 3/15/07, m0gely <m0gely at telestream.com> wrote:

> I'm more of a BSD person, and rarely install X (read almost never) for
> my BSD machines.  But I downloaded Edgy for the first time and installed
> it on my laptop.  The install initially shows up on my laptop display
> but when X finally loads, you need an external display to see it.  Other
> than this, it installed ok and things seem to be working fine.  Is this
> normal?  I need some direction in solving this.  I'm using the 6.10
> Desktop CD.  The laptop is an HP ze4300 with an ATI 320 mobile Radeon
> chipset.  In Windows, the function key to change the display output
> works normally.  I won't be able to respond quickly but suggestions will
> be read as soon as I have time.
>
> --
> - m0gely

Hi, I'm new here and haven't posted before,  but here is my  2 bits  worth.
I used to have  a Sony  Viao  laptop  with  the same  apparent  problem.
Savage Virge chipset IIRC. The  fix for  me was  to  sneak  into  the
filesystem using  another  distro,  Puppy being  my  personal  favorite
rescue  system,  and edit  xorg.conf  to  read  "vesa"  for  the video
driver.  It  worked  every time.  Meaning  I'm  a distro  hopper.  It
occured  to  me  later  on  that  I  could  also  have  done  the  same
edit  B4  rebooting  into  the  installed  system,  but  don't  actually
recall  if  I  ever  tried  that.

Paul  Payne
Linux fanboy (quasi-geriatric) and geek wannabe since RH 5.2 was the new kid
on the block