[PLUG] Any advise re color laser printer. Xerox 85xx? HP?

Keith Nasman keith at nasman.us
Sat Mar 17 21:04:50 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 4:09 PM, RParr wrote:

> I was looking at the Xerox 8550/DN (when the rebates had them
> available for $499) or the newer 8560/DN which use the solid-ink
> technology.  They seem to have a nice clean design and the solid-
> ink *seems* like a good idea.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has experience with these models?

I have used the 8550/DN at work and it is a great printer. I really
like that the ink cartridges are blocks and a quick "lifting the
hood" gives you visual confirmation of the levels. Each color slot
holds 4 blocks of ink and it sure is nice how little space the spares
take up. Galen is right about leaving the solid ink units on as they
keep a pool of melted ink and have to melt it when cold starting.

Unfortunately, our main use required a switch to a laser so we now
have the 8550/DN sitting idle. If you are still in the market,
contact me off-list.

Keith