[PLUG] DVD Burning

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 15:28:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:06:41 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> My Ubuntu amd64 Edgy laptop has a 16x CD/DVD+RW drive. I thought the
> capacity of this drive was 4.7 GB on regular DVD+R media. I am trying
> to burn 4.1 GB of data to a blank DVD on it.

I found the problem, but not the solution.

The problem is in mkisofs, which cannot handle a file greater than 4.0
GB. Googling, I found complaints from as long ago as 2002 that it could
not handle file sizes greater than 2.0 GB. Starting about 2004 the
complaints changed to 4.0 GB. It is now three years since the file size
limit was raised to 4.0 GB and evidently there is no fix yet. There are
also a lot of complaints that the directory structure was too deep for
it, although that was not my problem.

It may be that this is related to Joliet or something else in the
eldritch world of optical media filesystems.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a solution?