[PLUG] Freegeek computers and support?

Michael M. mcubed at slashmail.org
Mon Mar 19 04:20:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 10:12 -0500, Robert Citek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I sent these questions to {info,sales}@freegeek.org, but thought people
> here might know the answer,too.
>
> I noticed that one can obtain a Linux computer (FreekBox) by either
> volunteering for the Build Program or the Adopt a Computer program.  Can
> one also purchase a FreekBox?  If so, do they come with support?

Probably you would do best with updated information directly from Free
Geek, but when I volunteered there last year (in the Build Program), we
built three types of boxes, depending upon the specs:  FreekBoxes for
the volunteers, boxes to be donated to other non-profits, and boxes to
sell in the store.  AFAIK, there's no support available specifically for
boxes people purchase from the store, but there's no official support
for FreekBoxes either.  It's pretty much a community-based effort,
meaning if you need support you can ask around for help and make use of
whatever resources Free Geek has.  And of course, there's the PLUG
Clinic for support.

But if you mean, is there an 800# to call?, I don't think so.  All boxes
built there are tested, meaning they should be in working order when you
take them home.  Beyond that, it's a kind of DIY thing.

That's all to the best of my recollection, anyway.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions