[PLUG] Freegeek computers and support?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 19 19:20:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 10:12:12AM -0500, Robert Citek wrote:

> I sent these questions to {info,sales}@freegeek.org, but thought people
> here might know the answer,too.
>
> I noticed that one can obtain a Linux computer (FreekBox) by either
> volunteering for the Build Program or the Adopt a Computer program.  Can
> one also purchase a FreekBox?  If so, do they come with support?

You can buy a StoreBox at a decent price ($50 to $150).  There is
no support.  Some folks drag in their store/freek boxes to the Linux
Clinic and we help them there, sometimes.  Others ask on mailing
lists.  There are organizations that provide professional support
for $$$, but that support will be cheaper if you buy the machines
and run the software they suggest.

Support requires human attention, and that is rarely free.  We help
each other out on this mailing list;  that means we give each other
more than we get, though a few people here haven't figured that out
yet. :-/   Help us, and we are more likely to help you.

Keith