[PLUG] Acroread Syntax Errors

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Mar 20 01:03:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, alan wrote:
>
>> It is an error that is the result of Gtk moving from 2.x to 2.xx.
>
> Alan,
>
>  Sonofagun! So, upgrading gtk+2-2.8.0 to -2.10.0 breaks acroread? Wow!

Yep.

>  I have version 7.0.1 on my main box and that works just fine. So it must
> be related to the acroread version because the one available for download
> from Adobe is 7.0.9.

I need to test with earlier versions.  I have been handed a new fix, but I
have not had the time to test it.

>  No solution, eh? That's more than a major PITA since a simple ctrl-l puts
> acroread into full screen mode which is ideal for illustrating a talk with a
> file of pdf slides.

There is a solution.  People claim that they have gotten it to work.  My
system has some unique tweaks that may be part of the problem.

>  Does this mean that acroread on linux will no longer work, or might Adobe
> come up with a fix?

They should have a fix very soon now.  It is not just a Fedora or Ubintu
issue, but hammers pretty much every modern distro.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark