[PLUG] What program is using a library?

William A Morita wamorita at hevanet.com
Wed Mar 21 03:02:05 UTC 2007

Jason,

You may have removed the packages, but the libraries that were loaded to
support those packages do not automatically get removed.

You can find out what libraries you have loaded that are no longer
referenced by programs using "deborphan".

To remove these packages use:
	apt-get =y --force-yes --purge remove $(deborphan)

After running, run deborphan again to see if there are secondary references
that are not longer needed.
Use the apt-get command above as many times as needed to get to a state
where deborphan returns no libraries.

I suggest doing this after removing programs.

- Bill Morita
wamorita at hevanet.com