[PLUG] Serial Port issue

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Mar 21 18:48:49 UTC 2007

At the clinic on Sunday, Aaron helped me compile a program that
communicates with a device that connects to a serial port on my machine.
The device is a controller for the X-10 system of plug-in modules (to
the house wiring). We succeeded in compiling and running the program and
running it as root. We also added rsteff to the uucp group (I think I
have that right) so that I'd be able to run the program without having
to have root privileges.

I now have some time to work with the program again, but find that it
does not respond the way it did on Sunday afternoon, either as rsteff or
as root. One of the commands, x10 info, returns the current settings of
the device. On Sunday it did return those settings. Today nothing
appears to happen. Upon typing the command ./x10 info, the cursor moves
to the next line and sits there until I type <ctrl>c. As I said, it does
the same thing whether I'm rsteff or root. The X-10 controller has
default settings so that I can operate devices A01 through A08. These
work as expected.

Where do I start to look for what to do to solve this?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens