[PLUG] Special Topics Workshops for PLUG?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 21 18:53:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:41:54 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> dijo:

> Special Topics Workshop

I have read the excellent suggestions from others, and have two to add:

Potential topic:
A backup how-to for newbie desktop users. The majority on this list
work in a situation where daily backups of servers need to be made,
including off-site storage, disaster recovery, etc. That is certainly
an important topic (recently covered at a fine PLUG monthly meeting),
but there is a completely different dimension to backups. I'm thinking
about the person who has just one computer at home. This person uses it
to surf, write an occasional letter, and probably does some media stuff
-- editing toonz or vids, etc. This person does not need or want daily
backups to tape with off-site storage and disaster recovery plans. This
person does need a plan for a hard disk crash and, probably more
commonly, recovering a document that was inadvertently deleted. It is
something that needs to be done on an "as needed" basis. There is
little in the literature that can help this user, and the few software
packages that are available are buggy or useless. Training in dirvish,
rsync, tar, along with hands-on tweaking of the options available in
each of these tools is what the newbie desktop user should have.

A general issue:
Would it be possible to record the proceedings of these special topics
workshops somehow? I am thinking of a podcast or something which can be
made available on the PLUG website.