[PLUG] Exasperation

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Mar 22 20:50:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:46:52 -0700
"Tony Rick" <tonyr42 at gmail.com> dijo:

> On 3/22/07, Tony Rick <tonyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I forgot to add the Chandler wobble.

I am happy to report that things are progressing better today. I got
into the fuse panel and discovered it is not the fuses. And I tested
the currrent at the headlight and there is none. It's probably the
switch. Fords are famous for bad light switches. Still annoying. It's
only ten years old. I'm lots older than that and my lights still work.
Well, mostly.

As for the monitor, a quick daylight trip to Jantzen Beach and Best Buy
at the airport turned up nothing that I wanted to buy. But stopping at
Free Geek on the way home yielded a nice 19" Viewsonic Graphics Series
G90f flat screen CRT that will do 1920 x 1200. Free Geek wanted $30 for
it, and I turned over the cash cheerfully. It's sitting across the
table from me as I write this running Fedora 7 live CD (32-bit), which
autosensed the monitor (brand and model number) and the video built
into the motherboard (nVidia GeForce 6100). Everything else is working
too -- didn't have to lift a finger. I swear, Fedora 7 is looking
really, really good. I'm impressed. That's a serious compliment, coming
from a diehard Ubuntuoid.

I haven't installed any OS on it yet; just running live CDs to check
out which one I want to start with. It has an AMD64-2 4600 and 2 GB
RAM. The motherboard has Gigabit networking built in and Raid 0 and 1.
I want to set up the two 320 GB SATA II hard drives as Raid 1 and use
the computer mostly for backups, and also as a failsafe so I have
something to get on the net with next time I screw up my laptop. I'm
going to spend the rest of the day trying different distros and getting
it all set up. And shopping for Ford light switches.