[PLUG] BIOS, Raid 1 and Confusion

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 23 18:32:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:04:56 -0600 (MDT)
ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com dijo:

> The claim that that suse is the only installer that can do RAID is simply
> not true.  I have personally used redhat's and centos' Disk Druid to do
> RAID, and I know that it can be done on fedora too, since I watched
> someone do it.  I have also used suse's installer to create LVM, and found
> it to be a bit more intuitive to use, so I can understand that you are
> more easily able to figure out how to do it in suse than in some other
> disk wizard (like Disk Druid).  If I did it more than once a year, and I
> had the clicks committed to memory, I'd give instructions for redhat here.
>  But alas, I use gentoo exclusively these days, where everything is done
> manually.

I'm sure the others can do it. I didn't express myself clearly. I meant
that OpenSUSE 10.2 was the only one where doing so was obvious. I need
to poke around with the others to find the right buttons.

As for Fedora, the only version I tried was the F7 test2 i386 live CD.
I am downloading FC 6 amd64 now and will try that later.

In the meantime, I am trying to install Debian amd64 from the netinst
ISO. It found the partitions and Raid setup that OpenSUSE created last
night, but refused to let me use them. Every time I tried it kept
telling me I had no mount point, but it couldn't make a mount point on
the Raid. Finally I just deleted the whole OpenSUSE partition scheme
and started over. I created a 2 GB swap and a 45 GB ext3 partition on
both SDA and SDB. I can't find any way to tell it to mirror these. It
won't let me finish the partitioning because I have duplicate mount
points, and if I delete the mount points it won't let me continue
because there are no mount points. The Help is one screenful and the
word "raid" does not appear in it. At this point I'm stumped. I suppose
I'll have to go google for a couple hours to find out how one creates
Raid partitions with Debian.

I also discovered that I need the Alternate CD for Ubuntu in order to
do Raids. I discovered that just before reading Aaron's message. :)

And speaking of Ubuntu, I've been checking daily for the beta of
Feisty, which was originally scheduled for release on march 19. Well,
it's there! I'm trying to download the torrent right now, but it's
stalled with one other peer, who is also stalled. I think they just put
it up within the hour or something and the torrent isn't finding the
ISO file yet. But if y'all want it, you can find it here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/feisty/

Now I'm going to go beat up Debian some more to see if I can figure out
how to get it to create Raid partitions. :)