[PLUG] Debian install and RAID 1

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 04:09:29 UTC 2007

On 3/23/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:53:37 -0700
> "drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > On 3/23/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > RPL-ROM-ADR: 0050 8DCA 55FF
> > > RPL-ROM-IRQ: 10
> > > RPL-ROM-PIO: CC00
> > > RPL-ROM-FFC: 1 (which added 1 to the number every second or so until
> it
> > > hit 50, then the computer hung.)
>
> > Thats your machine trying to PXE boot. Its looking for a DHCP address
> from a
> > networked machine to catch and install image from. You can change the
> PXE in
> > your BIOS so it doesn't do that anymore. I've setup RAID on Redhat box
> years
> > ago but it was with a Highpoint raid card. You may have mentioned this
> and I
> > missed it, but what kind of onboard RAID do you have? Both Promise and
> High
> > Point provide Linux drivers, that atleast with Redhat/Fedora you can
> preload
> > before the installer starts so that you can setup those RAID partitions
> > properly. It took me and my co-worker days to get that fscking stuff
> working
> > so don't lose hope and keep us updated on your progress.
>
> Success! I went into the BIOS intending to disable PXE, but I did not
> find anything labeled PXE. I did find an option to boot from a network,
> but I could not disable it. However, while in there I found a bunch of
> other stuff to tweak. And I also found an option to disable RAID on the
> motherboard. After I rebooted, Grub came up and Debian launched!
>
> Problem: While the above is significant progress (first time I've
> gotten an OS on this computer to actually boot), there is a problem
> with USB. The keyboard and mouse are both USB. I can log in, and after
> logging in I get popup help balloons when I mouse over them. But the
> second I click on something no more popup balloons and the keyboard is
> dead. Strangely, I can move the mouse cursor around, although I can no
> longer click on anything.
>
> Back to the BIOS. I bet one of the tweaks I did goobered up some USB
> thing in there.
>
> > FWIW There's an old urban legend in the Slackware world that you _must_
> > drink a beer while installing or something will go wrong. Maybe its time
> > crack a beer?
>
> I'm on my second. :)
>
> Thanks for the insight!

Ah boot from network ... thats PXE  just  labeled differently heh.  Sounds
like you have a problem with  X.org . If the cursor works then USB is
working to some extent. And if you're able to login then the keyboard is
working. Can you ctrl+alt+del to a terminal and view dmesg, the Xorg log
/var/log/X.log and run lsusb  and lsmod and see what is returned?