[PLUG] Debian install and RAID 1

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 04:56:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:09:29 -0700
"drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> > Problem: While the above is significant progress (first time I've
> > gotten an OS on this computer to actually boot), there is a problem
> > with USB. The keyboard and mouse are both USB. I can log in, and after
> > logging in I get popup help balloons when I mouse over them. But the
> > second I click on something no more popup balloons and the keyboard is
> > dead. Strangely, I can move the mouse cursor around, although I can no
> > longer click on anything.
> >
> > Back to the BIOS. I bet one of the tweaks I did goobered up some USB
> > thing in there.

> Ah boot from network ... thats PXE  just  labeled differently heh.  Sounds
> like you have a problem with  X.org . If the cursor works then USB is
> working to some extent. And if you're able to login then the keyboard is
> working. Can you ctrl+alt+del to a terminal and view dmesg, the Xorg log
> /var/log/X.log and run lsusb  and lsmod and see what is returned?

First I did dmesg : less and found the following lines of interest (everything else looked normal and nothing else referred to usb):

usbcore: registered new device driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new device driver hub
mice: PS/2 mouse device common to all mice
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from choices
hub 1-0:1.0: usb hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 8 ports detected
Your time source seems to be instable (sic) or some driver is hogging interrupts
logips2pp: detected unknown Logitech mouse model 127
input: ImExPS/2 Logitech Explorer mouse as class/input/input2

Those were selected from the several screens of lines that dmesg gave me.

I tried nano /var/log/X.log and opened an empty document.

lsusb gave me:
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000.0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000.0000

lsmod gave me:
psmouse 44432    0

I should add that I misspoke before -- the keyboard remains functional; it's just the mouse click function that dies. When I finished I did Ctrl-Alt F7 to return to the desktop. The desktop came up for a brief second, then disappeared. The mouse cursor is still active on the black desktop. I think you're right -- there is something wrong with Xorg.