[PLUG] Fedora Core 6, Realtek, and mousie

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 20:56:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:18:43 -0700
"drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> > I'm sure the whole problem with ethernet and sound is that the live CDs
> > and the Debian Etch that I installed all used later drivers and kernels than
> > FC6. These updates should do the trick, if I can just figure out how to
> > install them from the command line.

> rpm -e --nodeps <package name>
> rpm -i --nodeps <package name>

Thanks. That helped. One of them required --allmatches, but I found
that in the man page. I got all the new ones installed, then restarted
the computer. The Grub menu still listed just 2.6.18, not the 2.6.19
that I just installed. I let it boot, then did uname -a and sure
enough, I was still booting to 2.6.18. So I rebooted and when the Grub
menu came up hit Esc, which showed the 2.6.19 kernel option. But when I
tried to boot it, it just hung in the middle.

I know F7 test2 will autodetect and set up the networking and sound,
that is, at least the i386 live version that I burned a while back will
do so. So I decided to download the x86_64 version of F7 test2 and
install it when it finishes, sometime tonight. Meantime I'm going to
install Feisty amd64 and see how that goes.

Except for the problems, I rather liked FC6. And it's high time I got
familiar with another distro, especially an RPM based distro. So I'm
hoping F7 test2 will be usable enough for me on the new computer.

Thanks for the help. :)