[PLUG] Fedora Core 6, Realtek, and mousie

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 01:27:08 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:42:02 -0700
> "drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > > First step is to get the ethernet working. Can't fix much without a net
> > > connection. So now I'm off to google and check out FC to see if they
> > > have forums and wikis and stuff.
>
> > /sbin/lspci in FC .... which is not part of the default path when you login
> > ... yea I know wtf
> > Not sure about the ethernet.
> > Check the mouse device section in X /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I think I found the solution for the ethernet on the Fedora Hardware forum. This person has the same motherboard and started a thread about ethernet not working. At the end of the thread he said:
>
> ---------------------
> I downloaded from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/p...updates/6/i386/
> the kernel-xen-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6.i686.rpm, mkinitrd-5.1.19.0.3-1.i386.rpm, nash-5.1.19.0.3-1.i386.rpm, parted-1.8.2-1.fc6.i386.rpm. I burned them on a disc, and a rpm -Uvh solved the problem.
> ---------------------
>
> So I downloaded the files, burned them to a CD, and got them into the Desktop on the new computer. But I'm just a dumbass Debian dude; RPMs are a mystery to me. I read man rpm and then tried to install them, but got:
>
> root at localhost Desktop]# rpm -Uvh *
> warning mkinitrd-5.1.19.0.3-1.i386.rpm Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2ab6fd2
> Preparing ... ###### [100%]
> file /usr/share/info/parted.info.gz from install of parted-1.8.2-1.fc6 conflicts with file from package parted-1.8.1-1.fc6
> file /usr/share/iman/man8/parted.8.gz from install of parted-1.8.2-1.fc6 conflicts with file from package parted-1.8.1-1.fc6
> file /sbin/mkinitrd from install of mkinitrd-5.1.19.0.3-1 conflicts with file from package mkinitrd-5.1.19.0.2-1
>
> I tried removing the old packages first, but couldn't the syntax right. The man page also talked about installing the newer package and removing the old one in the same command, but I couldn't get that right either.
>
> I'm sure the whole problem with ethernet and sound is that the live CDs and the Debian Etch that I installed all used later drivers and kernels than FC6. These updates should do the trick, if I can just figure out how to install them from the command line.

You said above that you installed the amd64 version of FC6, but here
you downloaded the i686 version of the kernel.  You need to download
the kernel with x86_64 extension.

Most likely the kernel that comes with the FC6 install does not have
the driver support for your NIC, so you just need to upgrade to the
latest kernel *that matches your architecture*.

Beware of FC7-test2, as that is just starting to stabilize and
upgrades are not officially supported in FC test images.  I'd stick
with FC6 unless you're trying to be more bleeding edge and you don't
mind reinstalling in May (and possibly two other times between now and
then for test3 and test4).

Jason