[PLUG] 2.6.19 or later, amd64

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 25 04:28:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:50:16 -0700
"drew wymore" <drew.wymore at gmail.com> dijo:

> > I know I will get the network and sound problem fixed. The mouse
> > problem is more vexing. The mouse cursor continues to work, but the
> > click function dies anywhere from right after the first click to maybe
> > 15 minutes after booting. Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc and logging back in again
> > restores it. The mouse is part of a Logitech combo USB keyboard/mouse
> > deal. But it's not a USB problem because I tried a ten-year old wired
> > mouse and the same thing happened. And it has happened reliably with
> > every single OS I have tried, regardless of kernel.
> >
> > I've mucked around in the BIOS until there's nothing left to try. Right
> > now I suspect an IRQ conflict and that's what I'm going to fiddle with
> > next.

> There's a BIOS option that lets the OS manage IRQ's (windows) or the BIOS I
> can't recall what its called but you want to change it to NO so that the
> IRQ's are handled internally by the MOBO and not the OS. Have you mucked
> around with the X config at all?

No, and about half an hour ago I decided that it might be in X instead
of an IRQ issue. I was installing F7 test2 and the install utility
(Anaconda) is a GUI with the mouse active. I did not have one single
problem with the mouse, even though I was clicking all over the place.
But the GUI in Anaconda is different from what you get when you finally
boot the finished OS. If it's not X, then maybe X is the problem. Or
maybe the problem is in Gnome.

I'll check out the IRQ options in the BIOS.

Fedora 7 test2 amd64 did not go well. The first problem was Anaconda,
which halted just after reading its initial starting screens from the
CD drive. It insisted it didn't know what driver to use for the CD
drive. Mind you it had been reading it for several minutes already. It
asked me to select a driver from a list or insert a driver disk. I had
no idea what to do. Finally, after retrying half a dozen times, I
accidentally clicked on the first driver in the list, whereupon it
happily finished the installation from the DVD. Lame, but it's still
alpha.

So then I finished the installation. But when it rebooted it hung on
the first GUI window when it got to Starting Networking. I rebooted,
but it always hangs right there. The kernel is 2.6.20. I noted during
the installation that it detected the network card and I thought it set
it up. (Sigh)

I had such high hopes for F7 test2. :(