[PLUG] 2.6.19 or later, amd64

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 22:07:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:42:27 -0700
"Jason Martin" <nsxfreddy at gmail.com> dijo:

> > The really strange thing is that previously I had disabled the onboard
> > Realtek in the BIOS. I had to do so to get Fedora 7 to boot. And now it
> > is working fine even though (I just checked) it is still disabled in
> > the BIOS. Oh well. Linux programmers must be truly clever to figure out
> > how to use a device that is not supposed to exist. :)
>
> Linux rarely relies on BIOS routines to avoid running ancient 16-bit
> code.  Also, you may have simply disabled *booting* from the NIC, not
> actually disabled the NIC itself.

There is more weirdicity going on with the onboard Realtek gigabit. As
it turns out, I was wrong -- I had enabled it again in the BIOS. But
Administration > Network showed two instances of it when I had the
3Com501 installed, both pointing at the Realtek, and the second one
ended in .bak. And I could connect the cable to the 3Com or to the
connector from the motherboard and get on the network either way. When
I thought the Realtek was working by itself because of the kernel
upgrade I removed the 3Com. It booted normally and I still had network.
Administration > Network still showed the two instances of the Realtek.
I deleted the .bak version. When I rebooted it hung with the kernel
panic as previously. I had to disable the Realtek in the BIOS again to
get it to boot. I later discovered that it will boot fine with the
Realtek enabled, but only if there is another network card installed.
And the second network card will always be listed in Administration >
Network as a Realtek 8169 regardless of what it really is. And it will
be listed twice, the second one with the extension .bak.

> > I'm really pleased with Fedora 7. Totally stable. Just one small
> > problem -- the clock is doing extremely strange things. It's running at
> > about double time, is paying no attentiion to UDP, and is paying no
> > attention to manual settings. Except, that is, that I can set it to,
> > say, 10:30 pm and after I finish it will say something like 3:15 am.

> I assume you mean NTP, not UDP which is a network transport :-)

Yes.

> There's a couple boot options you can try:
> - clock=tsc
> - noapic acpi=off

According to dmesg I already have tsc.

> Chances are you need to find a BIOS update.

Already checked that out -- the motherboard came with the latest,
version 1.1, November 8, 2006.

> > I've signed up for Fedora forums and for the Fedora e-list. I'm on my
> > way to becoming a Fedorist.

> Be sure to check out the unofficial Fedora FAQ at http://www.fedorafaq.org/.

Already been there, but I need a lot more education on Fedora!

Right now I'm trying to figure out Yum, Yumex and Kyum. They are
pathetic. I seriously miss Synaptic! I found that you can install
Synaptic, and I did, but when I tried to launch it all I get is a popup
that says "Error!" That's all it says. I'd stick with Kyum if I could
at least figure out how to enable more repositories. The "Available"
button lists only 434 packages. I've poked at it for half an hour and
can't figure out how to get it to see the rest that are out there
somewhere. There is no /apt/sources.list because there is no apt. I can
google and read the how-tos and wikis, but it takes hours to find the
right information. :(

I also need to get the Ubuntu laptop and the Fedora desktop talking to
each other. Right now they can't even see each other. More googling.