[PLUG] 2.6.19 or later, amd64

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 22:18:33 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:42:27 -0700
> "Jason Martin" <nsxfreddy at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > > The really strange thing is that previously I had disabled the onboard
> > > Realtek in the BIOS. I had to do so to get Fedora 7 to boot. And now
> it
> > > is working fine even though (I just checked) it is still disabled in
> > > the BIOS. Oh well. Linux programmers must be truly clever to figure
> out
> > > how to use a device that is not supposed to exist. :)
> >
> > Linux rarely relies on BIOS routines to avoid running ancient 16-bit
> > code.  Also, you may have simply disabled *booting* from the NIC, not
> > actually disabled the NIC itself.
>
> There is more weirdicity going on with the onboard Realtek gigabit. As
> it turns out, I was wrong -- I had enabled it again in the BIOS. But
> Administration > Network showed two instances of it when I had the
> 3Com501 installed, both pointing at the Realtek, and the second one
> ended in .bak. And I could connect the cable to the 3Com or to the
> connector from the motherboard and get on the network either way. When
> I thought the Realtek was working by itself because of the kernel
> upgrade I removed the 3Com. It booted normally and I still had network.
> Administration > Network still showed the two instances of the Realtek.
> I deleted the .bak version. When I rebooted it hung with the kernel
> panic as previously. I had to disable the Realtek in the BIOS again to
> get it to boot. I later discovered that it will boot fine with the
> Realtek enabled, but only if there is another network card installed.
> And the second network card will always be listed in Administration >
> Network as a Realtek 8169 regardless of what it really is. And it will
> be listed twice, the second one with the extension .bak.
>
> > > I'm really pleased with Fedora 7. Totally stable. Just one small
> > > problem -- the clock is doing extremely strange things. It's running
> at
> > > about double time, is paying no attentiion to UDP, and is paying no
> > > attention to manual settings. Except, that is, that I can set it to,
> > > say, 10:30 pm and after I finish it will say something like 3:15 am.
>
> > I assume you mean NTP, not UDP which is a network transport :-)
>
> Yes.
>
> > There's a couple boot options you can try:
> > - clock=tsc
> > - noapic acpi=off
>
> According to dmesg I already have tsc.
>
> > Chances are you need to find a BIOS update.
>
> Already checked that out -- the motherboard came with the latest,
> version 1.1, November 8, 2006.
>
> > > I've signed up for Fedora forums and for the Fedora e-list. I'm on my
> > > way to becoming a Fedorist.
>
> > Be sure to check out the unofficial Fedora FAQ at
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/.
>
> Already been there, but I need a lot more education on Fedora!
>
> Right now I'm trying to figure out Yum, Yumex and Kyum. They are

Yumex and Kyum are just front ends to yum. I'm pretty sure you'll want this
repo http://rpm.livna.org/
Installing new repo's isn't hard, most of them have rpm's you simply install
to add the repo and doing it by hand isn't too hard either.

Here's a post from a redhat employee about why they don't have a bunch of
repo's packages installed by default http://www.burdell.org/?p=547

pathetic. I seriously miss Synaptic! I found that you can install

> Synaptic, and I did, but when I tried to launch it all I get is a popup
> that says "Error!" That's all it says. I'd stick with Kyum if I could
> at least figure out how to enable more repositories. The "Available"
> button lists only 434 packages. I've poked at it for half an hour and
> can't figure out how to get it to see the rest that are out there
> somewhere. There is no /apt/sources.list because there is no apt. I can
> google and read the how-tos and wikis, but it takes hours to find the
> right information. :(
>
> I also need to get the Ubuntu laptop and the Fedora desktop talking to
> each other. Right now they can't even see each other. More googling.

I assume the desktop has an IP now via the 3COM? Can you ping the laptop's
IP? How are they connected together?

drew-