[PLUG] 2.6.19 or later, amd64

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:50:48 UTC 2007

On 3/26/07, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:42:31 -0700
> "Jason Martin" <nsxfreddy at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> > > Your router is likely 192.168.1.1 ... from the looks of the address
> scheme
> > > you have a Linksys ;-) but I could be wrong.
> > >
> > > Those are both valid addresses, so if they can ping each other then
> they
> > > can do other things like share files via samba or NFS. So they are
> > > networked, just a matter of what you want them to do.
>
> I could swear the router was -100. And when you wrote that I
> immediately thought "no, -1 was the very first computer that I had that
> was networked and it has been dead for several years." But I just
> pinged 192.168.1.1 and got a response. You don't get responses from
> dead computers. So I must have recycled the number when I installed the
> router, several years after the original computer died. What I need to
> do is turn on all the computers and all the laser printers, figure out
> their addresses, then make a list and rememberize it. Or tape it to my
> head.

try going to http://192.168.1.1 and see if you get a user/password dialog,
if so its your router.

> You don't say what sort of sharing you are trying to do.  Be aware
> > that Fedora comes with a firewall which is enabled by default.  You
> > can see/edit the basic firewall settings with a GUI called
> > system-config-securitylevel, through the Gnome menus
> > System->Administration->Security Level and Firewall.
>
> Already been to the firewall. Turned it off while finagling this stuff.
>
> > But mainly you have to be more specific about "sharing" if you want
> > any help here :-)
>
> I want to do two things:
>
> 1) I want to be able to back up the laptop to the desktop. That is, to
> a new 250 GB RAID 1 partition that I haven't made yet.
>
> 2) I want to be able to drag and drop occasional files back and forth.
> I want to be able to do this from either computer. At the moment they
> are next to each other, but they might not always be so close.

Drew mentioned nfs. I'll google on that a bit.

You can do those things with NFS no problem.

> Regarding repositories, I am not sure if the Extras repository is
> > rebuilt to work with testing images.  Also, one of the "features" of
> > Fedora 7 is the elimination of the distinction between Fedora Core and
> > Fedora Extras, so there may be some problems associated with that
> > work.  Also note that Pirut comes with Fedora, and while not as nice
> > as Synaptic, should show you the packages available in a GUI.  Adding
> > a repository manually in /etc/yum.repos.d is not too hard, and once it
> > is enabled there it will just work with any of the yum-based tools.

The "official" repos are Core and Extras then of course there are 3rd party.
Of which Livna is the one thats most used and most useful. I've found a few
other small one's but they're for very specific things like XGL. Between
Core, Extras and Livna you'll have a hard time not getting what you want. If
they don't have it, then you can always use freshrpms.net and rpmfind for
specific packages that you might need.

I was aware that Fedora 7 merges the Core and the Extras. But I didn't
> know about /etc/yum.repos.d. Is that the equivalent
> of /apt/sources.list? If so, where do I find a list of repositories so
> I can add them?
>
> And that reminds me of another thing that would make my life easier.
> How can I fix Fedora so I don't have to type /sbin/ in front of just
> about every command? That is getting tiresome. A link? (Not an expert
> on links.) A dos-like path statement? If so, where does it go?

cd to your home dir and then edit or add the file .bash_login

in that file type the following

export PATH=$PATH:/sbin

save the file and then when you open a new terminal you should be good to
go, if don't want to close and re-open a terminal you can type

source .bash_login and you'll be good to go.