[PLUG] 2.6.19 or later, amd64

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 18:25:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:41:02 -0700
"Jason Martin" <nsxfreddy at gmail.com> dijo:

> > > export PATH=$PATH:/sbin

> > Thanks. That doesn't work -- if I open a new terminal it still doesn't
> > let me type commands that are in /sbin. But it does work if I first type
> > source .bash_login.
>
> You need to log out of the graphical session and log back in to get it
> to take effect in new terminal windows.

It does work. However, I wanted to see if I could get it to work in a
terminal window (gnome-terminal) without having to log out and back in
again. If I open a terminal and give it the export PATH=$PATH:/sbin
statement, then I'm good in the terminal. So I fiddled around trying to
automate it so that it would always run every time I opened a terminal
window. I think it will work if I can launch the terminal window with a
script. Looking at another launch script I have that Drew helped me
write, I came up with the following:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=$PATH:/sbin
gnome-terminal

I saved it as launch_gnome_terminal in ~/ and modified the menu item to
call the script, but it doesn't work. It gives me "permission denied,"
which is odd since the script is in ~/. I'll fiddle with it some more
later. I think there is a F7 equivalent of gksudo that I can use on
Ubuntu, but I'll have to figure out what it is.

Meantime I'm off to Free Geek to buy a couple of NICs. Then I'm going
to see if I can figure out NFS (which I determined is already
installed). Also need to figure out a remaining mouse problem -- the
clicking doesn't die now, but I can't double click. And lots of other
F7 issues to resolve as well.

Thanks for the help. :)