[PLUG] Starting a Shell Script from Konqueror's File Browser

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:57:13 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com> wrote:
> # from Rogan Creswick
> # on Wednesday 28 March 2007 09:15 am:
>
> >It doesn't launch when you left-click on it? (if not, then you may
> >need to enable the execute permissions for your user/group.)
>
> Ugh.  I hope not.  At least not be default please.

Why not?  (assuming permissions are set correctly, allowing
execution.)  Don't you launch executable shell scripts from a terminal
in the same way you launch binaries?  (granted, you *could* run "sh
<script>" for every script you use.. but that's why we have +x perms,
right?) Am I missing something important about shell scripts in this
context?

Debian, at least, mixes executable shell scripts in with binaries in
/sbin, and I'm assuming other places:

sfdisk:                  ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV),
shadowconfig:            Bourne shell script text executable
shorewall:               Bourne shell script text executable
shutdown:                ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64,
version 1 (SYSV),
update-grub:             Bourne shell script text executable
update-modules:          Bourne shell script text executable
update-modules.modutils: Bourne shell script text executable

--Rogan