[PLUG] Starting a Shell Script from Konqueror's File Browser

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Wed Mar 28 20:13:40 UTC 2007

> # from Rogan Creswick
> # on Wednesday 28 March 2007 11:57 am:
>
>>> Ugh.  I hope not.  At least not by default please.
>>
>>Why not?  (assuming permissions are set correctly, allowing
>>execution.)  Don't you launch executable shell scripts from a terminal
>>in the same way you launch binaries?
>
> Any file manager shouldn't be launching executable scripts *by default*.
> That's too much like windows.  A sane default action to be "open with a
> text editor."  For the "I just want to run it" crowd, desktop entries
> are much nicer and get to have meaningful icons.
>
> You can set yours however you like, but given that most scripts are not
> graphical, it doesn't make a lot of sense to execute them from a
> filemanager.  I suppose it would be nice to have some way to configure
> it based on whether it is in a $PATH directory (or even symlinked to
> such a file.)

Normally what I do for shell scripts that I want to be able to run
from a file manager is give them the .sh file name extension. Then I
configure the file manager to run .sh files when clicked. This has a
couple of advantages. First, just by looking at the file name it is
obvious what type of file it is (and what will happen when I click it),
and second the "regular" shell scripts that don't have .sh extensions
will not get run when clicked. You can get the best of both worlds
through the magic of symbolic links.

Terry