[PLUG] Running Java App

Jason Van Cleve Jason.VanCleve at chrome.com
Mon Mar 19 17:33:06 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Larry Brigman wrote:

> Most java programs also expect at least JAVA_HOME to point to the
> location of the base of where the java SDK.

JAVA_HOME is needed only occasionally, but the path issue is critical,
as we've seen.  You normally should set up both variables when
installing a new version of java.  It seems lame, but I think it's
better that way.  Gentoo tries to handle everything itself, and they've
made a complete mess of that, with java-config-1 and java-config-2,
several config's in /etc, and a lot of compatibility issues.  After my
last upgrade, I now have to change some of those config's manually, even
though they say "generated by java-config" in them.

--Jason