[PLUG] Rip music on two CDs

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 31 16:50:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 01:28:35 -0700
Ryan <ryan.mannon at gmail.com> dijo:

> On Kubuntu (or any other KDE based distro), I would use KaudioCreator to rip
> the cd's to wav files and then load the files into Audacity.  You can splice
> things together very nicely in Audacity and then encode it to an mp3.

Audacity! Why didn't I think of that? I've used it a lot for work in
phonetics, but I never used its ability to join sound files.

I'm doing the rest of my CD collection on my new AMD64/2 computer with
cdparanoia and lame, running on Fedora 7 test2 amd64. Lame takes about
4 minutes to encode an entire CD. I opened the System Monitor to watch
what resources it's using. It's very interesting that it takes 100% of
one CPU and about 20-30% of the other one, but it swaps back and forth
so that sometimes the 100% is on CPU0 and sometimes it's on CPU1.

The time-consuming part is ripping with cdparanoia, which never goes
above 5% CPU usage on either CPU, nor does it seem to use much RAM. It
does a great job, but it doesn't run any faster than it does on my
two-year old laptop.