[PLUG] dnscache suddenly stoped working

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Tue May 1 13:23:02 UTC 2007

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Well it appears it stopped working suddenly.  These dnscache servers
> have been running for a really long time.  Suddenly this week-end it
> appears they stopped replying to (or answering) queries.  In fact I
> can't even get DNS services while logged in to the hosts.
>
> I set up the servers several years ago but now only provide support on a
> part-time/as-needed basis so I only have the story second hand.
>
> We're using dnscache because it's small, fast and lets us provide access
> to 'The Inclusive Internet'.
>
> I checked /etc/dnsroots.global and though they differ from the results
> of a  "dig @m.root-servers.net. ns ." there are enough common IPs to
> make the look-ups work I would think.
>
> Any suggestions?  Ed Sawicki?  :-)

I'm here, Rod. I don't read this list every day.
Check to see if the daemons (supervise, dnscache, etc.)
are running. Then check to see if dnscache is bound
to the usual ports. You should see something similar to
this if you use netstat:

tcp        0      0 1.2.3.4:53              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      29000/dnscache
udp        0      0 1.2.3.4:53              0.0.0.0:*
             29000/dnscache

You can also use: lsof -n|grep dnscache

If dnscache is not bound to a port, the usual cause
is a conflict. The netstat or lsof output will show
you this. Perhaps someone loaded a DNS authority
server, like BIND, on the box.

Ed