[PLUG] Re: PLUG Digest, Vol 31, Issue 61

eehouse.org eehouse at eehouse.org
Tue May 1 14:06:35 UTC 2007

> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:34:13 -0500
> From: Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Modifying a FreeBSD disk image
> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;	civil and on-topic"
> 	<plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
>
> eehouse.org wrote:
> > I have a 128 meg. slimmed-down FreeBSD (6.1) image (called pfSense)
> > that's meant to be installed on a CF card via 'dd of=/dev/hda'.  If I
> > install it that way it works fine.
>
> >From what you describe, it seems as though the image (pfSense) has the
> partition table and all partitions.  Using some version of Linux, can
> you post the contents of output.txt after running the following script:
>
> true ; ( set -x
> parted pfSense unit B print
> ) >& output.txt
>
> parted will tell us the geometry, the label, and the partition layout.

The script hangs forever, I think because it's waiting for input.  But
if I run just 'set -x; parted pfSense-1.0.1-Embedded.img unit B print':

+ parted pfSense-1.0.1-Embedded.img unit B print
WARNING: You are not superuser.  Watch out for permissions.
Error: Invalid partition table - recursive partition on
/home/ehouse/wrap/pfSense-1.0.1-Embedded.img.
Ignore/Cancel? i

Disk /home/ehouse/wrap/pfSense-1.0.1-Embedded.img: 122441727B
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

I believe the image has a number of FreeBSD partions within a single
"slice" (= linux partition) -- plus the MBR of course.  When dd'd to
/dev/hda it results in something that to Linux fdisk has a single partition,
hda4.  (IIRC)

--Eric