[PLUG] dnscache suddenly stoped working

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue May 1 14:43:06 UTC 2007

Ed Sawicki wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> Well it appears it stopped working suddenly.  These dnscache servers
>> have been running for a really long time.  Suddenly this week-end it
>> appears they stopped replying to (or answering) queries.  In fact I
>> can't even get DNS services while logged in to the hosts.
>>
>> I set up the servers several years ago but now only provide support on
>> a part-time/as-needed basis so I only have the story second hand.
>>
>> We're using dnscache because it's small, fast and lets us provide
>> access to 'The Inclusive Internet'.
>>
>> I checked /etc/dnsroots.global and though they differ from the results
>> of a  "dig @m.root-servers.net. ns ." there are enough common IPs to
>> make the look-ups work I would think.
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Ed Sawicki?  :-)
>
> I'm here, Rod. I don't read this list every day.
> Check to see if the daemons (supervise, dnscache, etc.)
> are running. Then check to see if dnscache is bound
> to the usual ports. You should see something similar to
> this if you use netstat:
>
> tcp        0      0 1.2.3.4:53              0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
> 29000/dnscache
> udp        0      0 1.2.3.4:53              0.0.0.0:*
> 29000/dnscache
>
> You can also use: lsof -n|grep dnscache
>
> If dnscache is not bound to a port, the usual cause
> is a conflict. The netstat or lsof output will show
> you this. Perhaps someone loaded a DNS authority
> server, like BIND, on the box.
>
> Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed.  I knew you were around. :-)  I'll give these a
try this evening.  Nobody but myself and one other have access to these
servers so bind being installed isn't possible -- I wouldn't and the
other person would ask me how to do it.  These are Linux-Vserver guests
so there it could have been something that bound the port(s) from
another guest host.

Again thanks,
Rod